Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Fit To Be Tied


I stopped by my folks house to pick them up for lunch and I was stunned to see "50 Shades Of Grey" sitting next to my mom's Laz-E-Boy.

"Do you know what this book is about" I asked my mom.

"Not really" she replied.  "I'm only a few pages into it.  Everybody is talking about it."

My mom is 81.

Who would have thought I'd live to see the day Bondage & Discipline and/or Sadomasochism went mainstream?

But mainstream it is.  The boyfriend and I were in the supermarket Monday and there it was on the bookshelf, right next to the frozen food.  It was paired with Dick Cheney's "In My Time".  Makes a certain amount of sense I suppose.  I think we can all agree Dick Cheney knows a thing or two about masochism.  All the same, it was a little creepy.

I'm having lunch with the folks again later this week.  I can't wait to see what my mom thinks once she gets past chapter one.