Friday, August 3, 2012

The Lost World(s)


Yesterday I found my thoughts drifting off to a magical place, a place from my past...

"Melodyland".

Why, I couldn't tell you.  Just popped into my head.  Melodyland was a "theater in the round" and located just around the corner of Disneyland.  It looked like a circus tent and put on a lot of productions for kids.  I still vividly remember a production of "Peter Pan" when I was in second grade that scared the hell out of me.  Eventually it was purchased by an evangelical church which ultimately went out of business.  I think it's a parking lot now.

That got me to thinking about other long lost attractions from my youth.

There was Lion Country Safari, one of the first "drive-thru" safaris.  



 It was famous for two things... Frazier the Lion and Bubbles the Hippo.

Frazier was an ancient lion that was purchased from a Mexican circus.  He was like 100 years old and toothless, with a tongue that perpetually dangled out of the side of his mouth.  The ladies found this irresistible.  They say he sired 30 or 40 cubs in the short time he lived there.

Bubbles the Hippo was a fugitive.  She somehow escaped and was on the lam for several days, hiding out in the ares various drainage ditches.


Speaking of hippos, there were also hippo paddle boats.  I know this because I sunk one.  I thought it would be fun to ram my sister's boat, and when I did so I cracked the fiberglass shell on mine and started taking on water.  I ended up having to wade ashore and spent the rest of the day covered in pond scum.

The other memory I have of LCS is that it was the site of my Junior Prom.  Why it was held there is one of the enduring mysteries of my High School days.  It was awful

There is a whole cluster of Lost Attractions near Knott's Berry Farm.

First up, The Alligator Farm.


Because everyone knows alligators are native to California.

And then there was Movieland Wax Museum.


The worst wax museum EVAH.


It was so bad it was good.  The most overheard phrase at Movieland was "who is that supposed to be?"

And then there was my all time favorite....

"Japanese Village and Deer Park".


I have no idea why I was so fascinated with the Japanese Village, but I was.


It had absolutely no rides or real attractions.  The thrill quotient was pretty much limited to feeding deer.

Or feeding dolphins.

Or feeding sea lions.


You could also see such natural wonders of Japan such as bears doing karate...


Or dolphins jumping through flaming hoops.  Just like in Japan!


Sadly, the park closed in 1975.  Orange County just hasn't been the same since if you ask me.