Friday, December 7, 2012

Danger Will Robinson


Turns out there is one drawback to taking the train... people.

Wednesday evening I developed a scratchy throat and by Thursday morning I had a full blown head cold.  It's too soon to call it the flu, but time will tell.  I really have no one to blame but myself.  I lead such a "Bubble Boy" existence - I work from home and only leave the house to walk the dogs.  My immune system wasn't prepared for the onslaught of humanity. At any rate, by the time today rolled around, I found myself with no pressing deadlines and an overwhelming desire to be horizontal, so I crashed on the couch with daytime TV.

Daytime TV is a demoralizing place.  Judging by the programming and the commercials, it's Loserville.  At one point, a commercial came on for one of those ambulance chasing law firms, the ones that promise you a financial windfall is someone you know suffered side effects/injury/ death from [insert drug name here].  And this one was no different...

"If someone you know has suffered serious side effects, injury or death from Robot Surgery..."

WTF?

ROBOT SURGERY!?!?!?!?!?

When did this happen?  Is this a thing?  Yikes.

So how does it work?

Is it like HAL from "2001" removing your appendix?  He wasn't exactly known for his bedside manner and if I recall, things didn't really end well.

My guess it's just yet another insurance company indignity; they've outsourced major surgery.  The robots are probably operated by doctors in India.  I'm picturing a med student in Bangalore with a scratchy video feed on a laptop making $12 an hour.  What could possibly go wrong with that?  They've done so well with customer service.

Well, it's none of my concern.  My insurance is so shitty there's little chance I'll ever have surgery, robot or not.  Not unless I do it myself.