Thursday, July 19, 2012

Those Who Can't, Teach



Week two of school.

I think we can all agree week one was a disaster, so there's nowhere to go but up.

It wasn't just that it was my first time teaching the class and I was more than a little nervous.  Or that it turned out I wasn't nearly as prepared as I thought I was.  Or the computer and software glitches.  It was also that it was an incredibly hot and humid day and the air conditioning failed.  I was already sweating from the nerves and the lack of AC turned it into a major flop sweat, which may have gone unnoticed if I hadn't been wearing a black shirt.  I looked like a child molester.

The only saving grace was that my students are new.  It was only their second class of their first quarter so they really don't have anything to compare me to.  Yet.  Plus, they seemed a little overwhelmed by the start of school and the computers, so most of the fuck-ups appeared to go over their heads.  So, it will probably be a couple of weeks before they realize what a shitty teacher I am.

Time to up my game.