Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Time Well Spent


Yesterday was the very first day of my new pseudo-job.  Although for the most part I'll be allowed to work from home, it has been requested that I come in every Monday for the weekly staff meeting.  And it was especially important yesterday as it was the official launch day of the new improved company 2.0.

It took almost two hours to get there.

The meeting was 45 minutes long.

It took an hour and a half to get home.

And the cheerful traffic reporter informed me that it was my lucky day because the traffic was "holiday light".

Is she fucking nuts?

I never thought in a million years I'd say this but I almost, almost found myself missing living in Hooterville.  There, the only time I ever saw a traffic jam was when someone lost a bale of hay on the highway.  Then again, the flashbacks returned and suddenly the gridlock didn't seem that bad.

My father was regaling me with tales of the Red Cars.  Back when they moved to California in the 50's you could go from the Mexican border to Santa Barbara by streetcar.  But then the powers-that-be decided that streetcars were passé and the future was to be filled with freeways.  So the tracks were all ripped up and paved over and here we are, moving at 4 miles per hour on the 405.

Sometimes the future aint what it's cracked up to be.