Saturday, June 9, 2012

Best Laid Plans


We were both looking forward  to a nice, relaxing weekend in the mountains and after the week we'd both had it was very much deserved.  And then they closed the road.

Not a road really... the freaking 5!  Interstate 5, the main artery of California... CLOSED.  For a forest fire.

I heard the traffic report as I was out getting supplies for the weekend.  Surely they'd open it I told myself.

Four hours later... still closed.

We'd wait until morning, we said.  It'd be a shorter weekend than we'd like, but we'd still get out of town.

This morning it was still mostly closed, so we threw in the towel.

Just as well.  My main client did a work dump on me around 3:00 yesterday and I was looking at the probability that I'd be inside on my laptop for the entire weekend.  Instead, I'm sitting here on a Saturday afternoon in front of a computer looking out on what looks like a nice day. I wouldn't know, I haven't been outside today.

It will all be worth it.  I hope.  It looks like this might turn into a full-time gig, with all the attentive benefits, including a pre-rececession scale salary.  It may even be enough to trade up to an adult sized apartment.  Fingers crossed.