Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Questionable Behavior


I meant to mention in my last post about the neighbors that several of them moved out over the weekend.  Actually, that was to be the main point of the post, but somewhere around paragraph two I lost my train of thought.  More like derailed.  At any rate, that's the deal... two, maybe three neighbors moved out on Saturday.  It was hard to tell exactly how many since there was so much activity going on.

One of the neighbors who apparently moved out was the hard looking woman directly next door.  We share a wall, although I've never heard a peep out her.  She bears more than a passing resemblance to Almira Gulch from "The Wizard of Oz".  She glares a lot.  People, presumably family, were here moving furniture out on Saturday, so I assumed she was gone.  So imagine my surprise when a truck pulled up yesterday.

An "Shred-It" truck.  A big one, industrial strength.

I work out of our second bedroom, upstairs, and I had a perfect view of the truck parked below.  Shortly after it parked, men started coming out of the house with huge trash bags overstuffed with... well, that's the question.  Bag after bag came out of the house.  The shredding began and it was deafening, like being in a timber mill.  For two hours!  There had to be over a hundred bags!

What exactly is Miss Gulch up to?  I think we'll never know.  And I think that's the plan.

It would be easy to say, oh well, she's just a hoarder, a pack rat.  Listen - my father has meticulously kept every cancelled check and bank statement for the past 60 years and it barely fills a closet.  The amount of stuff coming out of Miss Gulch's place would've easily filled a bedroom, probably two here in Tiny Town.  And it was clearly all financial looking forms and spreadsheets.

The truck finally left, and evidently Miss Gulch did too.

I expect any day now we'll hear about some massive bank fraud or financial meltdown and the phrase "missing documents" will be bandied about and Miss Gulch's photo will pop up as a "Person of Interest".